Monday, September 27, 2010

Banned Books Week

 September 25 - Oct 2
This week why not read a banned book? (You know you want to *wink*). Open your mind and look at the world from another point of view. Personally, I've never understood book banning. First of all, it only proves the cowardice and small-mindedness of the banner(s) and secondly banning something only makes it that much more desirable. Remember prohibition? Yeah. Like that. Alcohol was illegal? Really? Like that kept people from drinking. It only made people more determined to drink.

Hmmmm. So maybe we should ban books in a sneaky backward effort to makes people want to read them more. Anybody see what happened around the blogosphere when some dude advocated banning the book, Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson? A huge wave of support and lots of publicity for the book. So, I wonder if a little reverse psychology is in order?

7 comments:

Theresa Milstein said...

You are so right! What makes a book more enticing than banning it? I'm writing a post about banned books for Thursday.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

You make a great point! I wonder what this is doing to sales....Hmmm. I hope it is increasing it. :)

Carolyn Abiad said...

When you tell a kid not to do something - it's the first thing they do. Grown-ups are no different. So thank you to all the "intelligent" people who decide what books shouldn't be good for us. All those are top of my TBR list. :)

Anonymous said...

The ignorance of people who try to ban books astounds me. But like you said, more publicity for the author in question. Sad the way things work sometimes.

Brooklyn Ann said...

That's a good point. It makes me wonder if that's why certain books are classics.
I still think it's funny that HUCK FINN and TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD are accused of being racist when they are anti-racist.

The Man-Cave said...

Controversy equals cash and what better way to do pursue a different way to market a product then banning it. Banning drove the video nasty market overseas (I'm in the U.S.) back in the 80s. I used to seek them out even if they were terrible, just to find see way something would be banned or deemed "ban-able".

BTW - I just became yur 70th follower!

Margo Berendsen said...

I love that unplugged robot with a book and a smile! Will definitely check out some of the banned books.